Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My French Marine

November 11, 1669
The establishment of the French marine is well under its way. This project excites me, for I feel it will become one of my greatest achievements. Although King Louis XIV desires military glory and takes a huge interest in waging wars, he has never made an effort to create a strong, organized army. As his Secretary of State of the Navy, I felt that "the chief end that he should set himself is to make himself agreeable to the king, he should work with great industry, during his whole life to know well what might be agreeable to His Majesty." As a result, I have reconstructed the works and arsenal of Toulon, founded the port and arsenal of Rochefort, and the naval schools of Rochefort, Dieppe and Saint-Malo, and fortified, with some assistance from Vauban (who, however, belonged to the party of my rival, Louvois), among other ports those of Calais, Dunkirk, Brest and Havre.
It caught my attention that the new marine needed reliable recruits. Consequently, I spent today drawing up a system of classes. In my system, each seaman was to give six months of service every three to five years. For three months after his term of service the seaman was to receive half-pay with pensions promised. I hoped this system would serve to make the navy more popular. To obtain even more seamen, I have sent out letters to judges, asking that they sentence more criminals to the oar. I also plan to force beggars, slaves, and Iroquois Indians into the harsh marine service.

No comments:

Post a Comment